Friday, October 01, 2004

Evidence that the whole world isn't depressed.

It's funny, when you are in one boat you assume that everybody is in the same boat with you. But apparently there are other people on other boats and they are passing me in the night. I first came about evidence of this a few weeks ago, but I just brushed it off as a fluke. But once disproved and it's rumor, twice disproved and it's gospel.

Number one: Julia had posted her own version of a personality test. The questions consisted of either/ors. For instance: ocean vs. forest, mac vs. pc, etc. But it was the last question that became controversial. Awake vs. Asleep. Iris and I, of course, answered asleep. We asked these questions to a random co-worker who was passing by. She was puzzled by the last question. She just stood there thinking and looking utterly confused. She asked, "I don't get it. What do you mean awake or asleep? what kind of question is that?" Iris and I just looked at each other. We couldn't understand her not understanding. Then, I got it. Oh my god! She has never been depressed.

I didn't think that it was possible to have never been depressed. It is one thing to get the question but not be depress, thus answering: awake. But to not even get the difference. Wow, that is pretty amazing. Despite this instance, I wasn't convinced that she wasn't a lone freak who didn't know the spectrum of human emotions.

Number two: today I was again talking with a coworker. We were on the subject of people being scared of her. She couldn't see how anyone would be scared of her. I sarcastically answered: "if anyone says they are scared of you, you should ask them if they are more scared of you or themselves." Again, this coworker looked at me unaware of my meaning. She said that she isn't scared of herself. Wow, how does she do that? To not be your own worst enemy. That is pretty fucking amazing.

So, all this time that I didn't think I was alone in this world with my feelings, it turns out that I am. If I'm on this row boat all by myself, who is going to pull the tampon out to plug the leaky hole? I guess I am up a creek without a paddler. I don't know if I can steer this course without another rower. I suppose it isn't like two boats passing in the night. It is like a cruise ship sailing on calm waters and a dingy drifting down a stream that the people on the boat don't even know exists. Maybe all the world's explorers were really depressed, hoping that they were going to glide out to the middle of nowhere only a huge chunks of land got in their way. Or better yet they were hoping they were going to fall of earth. I going to print up t-shirts for them that say: "I went to fall of the face of the earth and all I got was this stupid continent."

1 Comments:

Blogger 3am wanderer said...

Funny t-shirt. And where does this "paddler" pull the tampon out of???? That was a scary thought. Dude, I think people who are so not self-aware and have never been introspective (depressed) are the minority. They just lack depth. No fun to be around. There's no wallowing!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home