Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I'm Not That Girl

Stop treating me like I am that girl. I can hear the subtext in what you are saying. I'm not a fool, don't pretend that I am. I have worth, you know. Just because I am a female doesn't mean the only valuable contribution I can make to society is with my looks, or lack there of. I am not the person you type cast me as. I don't want to be credited in your movie with this title card. I'm not the funny girl. I'm not the smart girl. I'm not the pretty girl. I am a human being, so start talking to me as such. But mostly, I am not one of your guy friends, there are somethings that should remain between the boys.

Women don't want to be objectified but at the same time they hate even more when another woman is objectified because we view it as an insult to us. If you say another person is pretty we hear that you think we are a dog. We are crazy creatures, but it all fosters from the societal insecurity instilled into us.

Don't tell me what kind of woman I am. Don't label me or put me into some category. Because I will categorically deny whatever pigeon hole you put me in. I am not who you think I am, I have never let you see who I am so don't be presumptuous. I will be whoever I want to be. Just because I am not up to your holier than thou standards, don't think I am not worthy of your respect.

I hate LA. There is no meaning here. Value is measured in golden tresses. Can't I have any value as a person if I am not a blond? In LA, that is like asking for a white Christmas.

You make me feel hideous. You make me want to be invisible. You make me see that you are the one that might lack worth.

Stop telling me what kind of woman I can't be. And I will stop thinking about the kind of man you are.

1 Comments:

Blogger 3am wanderer said...

LA is pretty vacuous and so are a lot of the people. It's just the mainstream, or the pulse of the city. I think we all just have to believe in that rich inner world, in believe in how much more value it holds than the worthless beads the rest of society likes to trade in. The good thing is that people of substance always recognize people of substance. Stick with them and value their opinions. The other people are just cattle.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home