Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Christmas Stress Part 1 of many

Oh, the holidays. How wonderful they are, wonderfully stressful anyways. I've finally decided what to get everyone but now I realize I can't afford all my grand plans. So, rather than dwell on it, I'm just going to scale them all down. That's what I will do. Although I some how managed to get myself trapped into a gift exchange at work. I didn't mind the idea until the girl was coming around to draw names. I asked: "So, is it a 10 maximum?," her response: "Twenty-five." Dear Lord, I don't even spend that on some of my friends, and they want me to spend that much on an employee that I moderately like. That seems a bit excessive.

I haven't really found the holiday spirit yet this year. I'm on vacation next week so maybe I will find it at that point in time. It's hard at my age, you've lost the magic and you don't yet have to provide the magic for someone else. Christmas limbo is where I find myself. I know the truth but I don't have to lie. I'm not a participant in the game, yet I'm spending a butt load of money at the concession stand.

Christmas is merely like everyone's else birthday occurring on the same day. I have to buy everyone presents and be selfless. It's hard to watch people in LA pretend to be selfless. Everyone here is so self-absorbed that the game becomes even harder to believe. Besides, in LA everyday is a game so this is just one more roll of the dice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I totally agree with you on the gift exchange at work. I got myself roped into one of those and am now regretting it! Why would I want to buy a $25 gift for someone I would never even buy a card for!? But you can't be rude and say that you aren't playing right?
It reminds me of the Seinfeld were Elain gets fed up with all the cakes so she says she's not going to be involoved with them anymore, then regrets it. That's how I would feel. Maybe we'll get something really nice in return and it will be all worth it. If you don't like it....re-gift it!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Whit said...

That's the thing that seems so stupid. Every person was suppose to put three things they wanted on a piece of paper with their name on it and everyone put gift cards. Now in all honesty gift cards are cash with more thought and more limitations, but if we are all giving each other $25 dollar gift cards wouldn't it just be easier to pick a name and then tell each person where to get a gift card for themselves since really it equals out to each person buying their own gift card and then getting one in return. Can't we just cut out the middleman? I know that isn't very "christmas spirit" of me, but screw it I've grown to logicial for this shit, or maybe just too cynical. Probably the latter of the two.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home