Monday, August 02, 2004

Full of Sound and Fury

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

I don't know why this quote from Macbeth choose me this morning. In fact, whatever has drawn me to this quote, scares me. The unstoppable force of my mind leads me in directions that I do not wish to follow. But I worry because I don't have any bread crumbs to drop. How am I suppose to find my way back? I feel as though I know the end of this path but I do not know the beginning. Where did it all start? What pushed the first domino? Why did I not space one of them far enough away to stop the effect?

I am trapped in my head. I don't know how to escape these thoughts. My thoughts have become so loud that everyone can hear them. Can you hear them now? They are so loud that I cannot hear them, I can only feel them vibrating through my core.

How can I escape a desert island when I don't know how I got there? I stare out at the waves. Each time one crashes to the shore I feel my life come crashing down with it. Once I have made the thunderous noise I slowly glide back into the ocean. The water slips away along with any feeling that I had. My emotions have become like the water: calm, peaceful, and numb; a sudden burst of emotion comes slamming down; then slowly drift back out to the numbness.

The line from Amazing Grace pulsates through my mind. "I once was lost but now I'm found." Oh, how I long for that to be so. I want so badly to be found. I don't know why I can't find myself. I'm hard to miss under these fluorescent lights. My problem is that I don't want it to signify nothing, I just haven't found a way for it to signify anything. But, alas, I will keep on trying. Because this idiot is determined to make a sound louder than my thoughts. I just have to find out what sound that is, but I'll know it when I hear it.

3 Comments:

Blogger 3am wanderer said...

Wait for someone to find her??? Are you just saying that cuz she's a woman?!?

Zach Braff is dating Natalie Portman. I knew that chemistry is too good to be not true.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Whit said...

Joe, come back! Don't leave. Please, Julia is just pissed because the love of her life in dating someone from a galaxy far, far, away. I need your boyscott mottos to lead me in the right direction. It's not your fault, when the boyscotts say to always be prepared they didn't know Julia existed. Please, stay. Random comments might be the only thing to save me. It brought joy into my life that is currently severely lacking. I wish more people would come out of the wood work so I would know that someone is listening. Other people are the only thing that will drowned out the noises in my head.

12:49 PM  
Blogger 3am wanderer said...

Joe! I was joking. :) Just giving Whit (and you a hard time). Sorry Whit. I'm scaring people away. :(

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home