Tuesday, January 25, 2005

This too will pass

Yesterday I read the most interesting Time magazine article. It was about the Twixters called "Grow up? Not so Fast." The thing that made it so fascinating was that it was the first time that I've read an article that was simply true to my perspective. It wasn't thought provoking, it was just factual. I'm sure for other people, who are not twixters, it probably shed some new light on my age group.

I'm not alone. I guess that was the comforting part of the article. Although, I knew I wasn't alone because all of my friends are in the same boat, but it is nice to know that it isn't just because we live in LA. This is helpful to know because I know that changing locations isn't the answer to my problems, no matter how much I try to convince myself differently.

So what is the answer? Even the article doesn't quite know. How do you solve societal growing pains? Those are always the most interesting periods of history when societal evolution tries to catch up to its own societal revolution. A new phase arises without a societal recognition or transition.

I don't know if I can keep waiting for society to get the picture. Frankly, I don't know if I care if they ever do. The threshold that must be crossed is just longer than we thought, but it is still there. It looms in the distance without hope of going anywhere. Apparently the change from child to adult isn't as overnight as we thought. I feel so far from either end of the immediate spectrum. Neither phase of life seems within reach to me.

Maybe it's the search for the new Crusade. Maybe our group no longer searches for eternal life but rather a life worth living. We want purpose in the day to day not in merely the ending. Meaning is the new meaning. The quest is no longer just surviving but to be thriving. The question is the answer. Who know you could find the meaning of life within a half-hour span of jeopardy. "Alex, what is existence?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home