Monday, February 14, 2005

Saint Valium Time Day

Oh, the happiest day of the year. The wonder of being in love and forced to proclaim more than you actually feel. Coincidently the saddest day of the year is the dreaded day after. Now faced with the consequences of over statement or proclamation made the night before in order to secure the desired ending to the evening. Nothing like a little pressure to make it the ideal time to propose.

Expectations. Whether trying to live up to them or live them down, they are never met. Rarely are they exceeded. Disappointment.

Definitions are set for things that shouldn't necessarily be defined. A step forward when there should be a step back. Endings when there should be beginnings. A day of extremes never meeting in the middle.

People become so giddy. Like it is now ok to show how cheesy they really are. It's like Halloween for the sappy people. Finally, they can show the world who they are without fear of persecution.

But the day after. No one ever talks about the day after. The fall back to earth, most times ending in a thud. Regret. "What the hell did I get myself into?": the thought heard round the world.

People think this is a holiday that Hallmark invented in it's modern conception but really I think it is bitter single people who wanted to see the couples of the world squirm and self-destruct. Hand someone dynamite and a box of matches; they are libel to blow their hand off.

Enjoy today because tomorrow is going to be one hell of a romantic headache hangover. Or at least a sugar rush hangover from all the cookies that are being shoved down my throat.

I'm not really a fan of any holiday. I don't like when I'm told when to be happy. What happened to free will? I might not want to be happy on said declared days. Don't make me feel all guilty about it.

A coworker asks me if I was wearing red. I responded, "This not St. Patrick’s day." People get way into this holiday. Enough already. I mean based on the principle of Valentine’s Day shouldn't everyday be Valentine's Day?

If you get over everything that encompasses happiness on Valentine's Day long enough to actually witness it you'll find that it is really funny. I haven't stopped laughing all day. I will enjoy tomorrow's fallout even more because that is the kind of masochist I am. Tomorrow everyone will be singing to Cupid:

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
Darling you give love
a bad name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home